BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Food for thought- literally

I have what I refer to as 'vegan on earth moments'.These are the moments that make me feel so very different.
I feel like the freak, the radical..the stranger in a strange land.
Let me give you an example: My local grocery store was having a small fund raiser and they were selling lunches that included a hot dog, chips and a coke. They had the bbq going, they had little "health tips" pamphlets to pass out and they were pretty happy to be raising money for a good cause. I wanted a closer look and as I approached, I noticed that the fund raiser was to support an animal shelter. My immediate reaction was a mixture of confusion, shock, anger and disbelief. I truly wondered how they couldn't see the irony in what they were doing!
Without a whole bunch of editing of my thoughts or words, I approached with a forced smile and said "Does anyone else see the irony in the fact that you guys are serving dead animals to people to raise money to save animals??" and "Hotdogs, a coke and chips seem kind of unusual to be handing out with a pamphlet on health tips, dont'cha think?" I wasn't loud, I wasn't hostile or mean but did I handle right? Possibly not.Was I friendlier than I felt inside? Absolutely. My questions were met with a nervous laugh from one, a few inquisitive head turns from others and a boisterous laugh from the chef himself. His laugh was sincere. I believe it just didn't cross his mind to connect the dots on this one. Rarely are we born thinking this way, we are victims of a lifetime of marketing and some of us will just never see the contradiction in something like this.
 In hindsight I suppose I could have suggested they consider serving veggie dogs next time but who knows...
So there you have it, a 'vegan on earth moment', a moment when I stand alone and want to find my people; the people who understand immediatley how I feel.

0 comments: